Monday, October 3, 2016

Pickling

Recently I bought Kimchi from a farm stand and it was terrible, drowned in vinegar. I knew I could do better.

A few years ago my family had purchased a share at a local organic farm. We had been inundated by vegetables, way more than we could eat. I spent the summer pickling, canning, flash freezing and giving away whatever we couldn't eat. I was spending about 10 hours a week cooking and preserving my vegetables. After that I decided I didn't want a part-time job as a chef on top of my full-time business, so we stopped participating in the farm share.

In my forays into pickling, I had tried to make Kimchi with some of the vast quantities of cabbage the farm share provided. I dug through my recipes and found the old Kimchi recipe that I'd used back them, discovering that I hadn't bothered to write down any of the proportions. I pulled out my crock pot, cut up the vegetables on my list, added water and salt and covered them with a weighted plate for two days.

It made six jars of kimchi, which I tucked into the back of my tiny apartment refrigerator. Not ready to put them through the canning process to seal them and keep them in my pantry.

Here's what I put in the kimchee:
3/4 of a head of Napa cabbage
3 1/2 Carrots
1 Red pepper
3 JalepeƱos
2 Leeks
6 Scallions
6 Raddishes (I'd use daikon next time because the red leached out of the red raddishes and turned the water pink)
3 cloves of Garlic
1" of Ginger
1/2 c Sea Salt
Filtered Water to cover

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try your recipe, Amara! Kimchi is soooo good for you, and homemade is awesome. I tried it only once, but my inability to not tweak a recipe had me throw in some Sichuan peppercorns at the last minute, and the resulting mix, though mostly tasty, would numb my face for a distressing period after eating... next time, I'm doing this with your recipe and I'm not messing with it!

    Thanks for sharing! Love the blog!!

    :RtR:
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like mushier kimchi, try canning it in a hot water bath.

    ReplyDelete