Monday, October 17, 2016

How weird am I willing to be?

I went to a networking function run by the Hunterdon County Chamber of Commerce. I hadn't seen many of the attendees in quite some time. There was a nice buffet and an open bar.

Unfortunately, I hadn't thought ahead about what would be available to serve myself with: plastic cups and dishes. I had a travel mug and metal bowls in my car, but I felt really awkward about eating off of them in a public business setting. So I opted for a glass of wine in a plastic cup and a paper napkin. Then I ate only things I could pick up with my hands -- like shrimp, teriyaki meat on sticks, and skewered bacon and pineapple.

Am I really going to bring my own wine glass and plate to a networking function? What am I supposed to say to people when they ask my what I'm doing?

Actually drinking out of a plastic cup gave me an opportunity to tell people about my new hobby and blog. A few people asked me for the web address. Publicity, one - Fight against plastic, zero.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are embarking on a great personal effort to waste less and to raise awareness for the planet. I'll keep an eye out for your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete